Pregnant? Congratulations!! We bet that you are dealing now with backaches, swollen ankles, insomnia, and mood swings, and you’ve been told by your mom or in-law not to lift a finger throughout your pregnancy; right? However, what if we tell you that PowerHouse Gym can give you the ideal solution for a smooth pregnancy, and being a ”Couch Potato” is not one of them?
Working out during pregnancy is still considered a big “No” for most moms-to-be as they believe that it leads to miscarriage, low birth weight, or early delivery. Little do they know that exercising while pregnant has endless benefits and some of which include:
- Strengthens the muscles and joints to help you tolerate the extra weight
- Eases back pains and bloating
- Improves circulation
- Reduces constipation
- Ensures healthy weight gain during pregnancy
- Decreases the risk of pregnancy complications, such as cesarean birth, gestational diabetes, and preeclampsia
- Helps you with postpartum weight loss
- Shortens labor
- Promotes sleep
- Boosts mood
It is safe BUT…
Before putting on your fitness gear and hitting the gym, make sure to take the green light from your maternity team first as women with pregnancy complications are not allowed to break a sweat! In other terms, if you are dealing with severe anemia, lung or heart diseases, cerclage, preterm labor, ruptured membranes, preeclampsia, placenta previa after the second trimester, or carrying twins or triplets and at risk of preterm labor, working out may not be safe for you and your baby.
However, even after taking the approval, you will surely be advised to take it easy on yourself. Lying flat on your back and standing still for long periods are not recommended as this will decrease your blood pressure and restrict circulation. Moreover, drinking plenty of water is a must! drink before, after, and during workouts to avoid dehydration. In addition, you will be asked to stay away from contact sports such as kickboxing, squash, or judo, and anything that might put you and your baby at risk.
In fact, you don’t have to worry about pregnancy workouts and fitness tips since our certified personal trainers will help you start your fitness journey on the right foot.
Whether you are an avid gym-goer or working out for the first time, our personal trainers will tell you what exercises to avoid during pregnancy. However, your go-to pregnancy exercises will be:
- Indoor cycling: great news for those who love pedaling but are finding it difficult to maintain balance during pregnancy! Join our spinning classes and pedal at your own pace.
- Weightlifting: this will help you build muscles and promote strong bones, but of course, you have to use light weights only.
- Low-impact aerobics: including walking, elliptical, stair climber, rowing machine, and treadmill. These low-impact aerobics are safe exercises during pregnancy as they are easy on your joints and will help you build flexible muscles.
Bear in mind that exercises in early pregnancy are different from the third-trimester workouts, and our personal trainers will customize your fitness plan accordingly.
Moreover, always remember to listen to your body! You aren’t supposed to be out of breath and drenched in sweat! And in case of dizziness, irritability, chest pain, or any alarming signs, consult your maternity team immediately.
Working out during pregnancy doesn’t mean that you have to train for the Olympics! Staying active for at least 30 mins per day is actually enough and will secure a healthy pregnancy and a blooming baby.
So, to all the moms-to-be out there, we are looking forward to meeting you at PowerHouse Gym.